This is such a beautiful bridge. It lacks the simplicity of the modern bridges, or the decorations of the classic ones, but it displays this RAW strength. I remember when we were approaching it, and it just popped out from behind a hill. For me, as a big fan of bridges in general, this was a wonderfull moment :). Of course the day I was there, the weather was horrible, and I froze my ass off. But that just means, I have to go back :)
For today’s process post, let’s look at one of my photos taken in Edinburgh, Scotland. I actually wanted to take a photo of this beautiful hotel in the middle of the city, but as I set up my camera, a buss stopped right in front of me. So I quickly recomposed, to make the bus the main subject of the photo.
It was actually quite funny, how the people in the bus noticed me taking the photo, and nicely smiled for it :)
So to get this final image
I started with 5 exposures, with the 0EV looking like this.
It looked quite OK from the start, but few tweaks were still necessary. I imported them all into Lightroom and corrected only the chromatic aberrations and lens distortion’s there.
As you can see, the 5th exposure was not usable at all, so I haven’t even loaded it into Photoshop. So after loading the other 4 exposures into Photoshop, I did the following (layers numbered from bottom up)
1. 0EV exposure
2. darkened the brightest parts from the -1EV shots (you can see the mask here, I used a luminance mask to create the selection and then brushed over it)
3. there were still few bright areas, so I repeated the process with the -2EV exposure
4. brightened few spots from the +1EV exposure
5. used the -1EV once more, as I wanted to use the people in the bus from that exposure. The mask is manually painted.
6. added more contrast to the darkest areas of the photo
7. added a little contrast to the midtones
8. brightened a little the shadow darks (all these masks were created using TK actions)
9. merged the layers into a new one, and retouched out few spots
10. desaturated the blue channel, as the sky was too blue
11. added more structure using the high pass sharpening method
12. added a little more overall contrast.
I already planed to share the winners of my contest with you, but due to the very busy schedule of the jury members, they haven’t agreed on the winner yet. The voting winners are already decided, but I will publish them all at once as soon as I can.
Please excuse this little delay.